Research has shown that more than 75% of kitchen sponge and dish rags we use in the kitchen harbour coliform bacteria, which includes salmonella and e. coli. Most sponges also had yeast and mold, and staphylococcus aureus, or staph.
This is because the kitchen sponge picks bacteria during cleaning and is typically not properly or regularly sanitized before the next use. Sponges are also wet and damp, providing perfect conditions for bacteria to grow.
Some people even keep the kitchen sponge in a covered container and the water drains inside the container with the sponge inside.
The worse thing is that the same sponge is used to clean drinking cups and even children’s plates. And then the sponge is used to clean oily pots and wash other plates. No wonder the sponge is the easiest place to be infected.
Drain your kitchen sponge and hang it. Change your sponges often or soak in hot water before every use. No matter how attractive your kitchen is, if you don’t take care of your sponge, it can be a danger zone.