The Governor of Ekiti State, Governor Ayo Fayose has yesterday stormed the office of the Finance Minister, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, to demand the release of the state’s statutory allocation for January and over N1. 1 billion budget support fund.
Fayose arrived at the finance minitry at about 3 p. m, but was unable to discuss with the minister who was said to be attending the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting at the presidential villa, Abuja.
He, however, met an unidentified personal assistant to the minister.
The governor told journalists that he was surprised that only Ekiti was left out of the fund’s disbursement out of the 36 states of the federation, an action, he described as politically motivated.
According to Fayose: “The minister called yesterday to assure me that she would look into the matter. But you should appreciate that civil servants in Ekiti are restive, having spent their money for Christmas and New Year celebrations. I met the PA who assured me that the matter would be resolved.”
“Part of the main allocation had been paid and the budget support is about N1.1billion, which have not been paid. I believe that it was a mix-up and she told me that the issue was not political.
Meanwhile, the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti State has explained the reason for the non-release of the allocation.
The party’s Publicity Secretary, Taiwo Olatunbosun, said in a statement yesterday that Fayose’s failure to adhere to the terms of agreement in the approval of funds was responsible for the delay.
He stressed that the governor’s allegation was planned to instigate Ekiti people against President Muhammadu Buhari and blame his government for his inability to pay workers salaries.
Fayose had on Tuesday disclosed at a press conference in Ado-Ekiti that the Federal Government was deliberately starving the state of funds in order to cripple his development initiatives.
He said the plan was to instigate the people against his government to pave a way for the APC to win the governorship election in 2018.